Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dark_schneidr/darkschneidr.com/portal/includes/db/db.php on line 377
Gamer's Lounge (Presented by Darkschneidr) › Forums › Platforms › Nintendo (NES, SNES, N64, Game Cube, Wii, GB, GBA, and DS) › Nintendo reclaims console supremacy

[x] Main Menu
 Home Community Members options Web Resources Search

[x] User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password

Membership:
Latest: jfauifsja
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 388

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 28
Total: 28
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Home
02: Home
03: Home
04: Photo Gallery
05: Event Calendar
06: Event Calendar
07: Photo Gallery
08: Event Calendar
09: Photo Gallery
10: Photo Gallery
11: Photo Gallery
12: Event Calendar
13: Event Calendar
14: Photo Gallery
15: Forums
16: Photo Gallery
17: Photo Gallery
18: Photo Gallery
19: Event Calendar
20: Event Calendar
21: Event Calendar
22: Event Calendar
23: Photo Gallery
24: Event Calendar
25: Photo Gallery
26: Event Calendar
27: Event Calendar
28: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Nintendo reclaims console supremacy

Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Nintendo reclaims console supremacy
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:40 pm

www.gamespot.com/best-...tml?page=7

After watching the PlayStation 2 handily beat the first Xbox by launching a year prior (140 million units to 24 million units, life-to-date), Microsoft rushed the Xbox 360 onto store shelves in 2005. It didn't count on Nintendo-- whose GameCube languished in third place (selling just 22 million units to date) during the last console generation-- to come back with a vengeance with the Wii in late 2006.

Two days after Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime boasted of record sales at E3 2008, his company announced that the Wii had overtaken the Xbox 360 in US console sales. With the NPD Group reporting that the company sold 666,000 units in June, domestic lifetime sales of the console topped out at 10.9 million as of the end of that month.

Anyone following NPD's monthly numbers knew the Wii's lead would only widen. And widen it did, selling 555,000 units in the US in July, 453,000 in August, 687,000 in September, and an impressive 803,000 in October. Those figures paled in comparison to November's tally, however, when Wii sales sailed past the 2-million-unit mark in a single month. Comparably strong sales in Europe and Japan boosted the Wii's worldwide sales, which topped 34.55 million units as of September 30.

Can anything slow down the Wii's momentum? Currently, its biggest problem is that demand is too high, with the console and its $90 Wii Fit game/balance board peripheral commanding a respective $100 and $50 markup on eBay during the 2008 "Black Friday" weekend. Such short supply benefits Microsoft, which dropped the price of its Xbox 360 Arcade to $199, a number that is $50 below the Wii's price, which hasn't changed since its 2006 launch.

Then there's the "Blue Ocean" factor. With Nintendo devoting so much of its resources to demigames such as Wii Fit that cater to nongamers, many of its hardcore faithful are feeling left out. And as the year closed, there were signs of rebellion: Wii Music, Nintendo's major 2008 holiday release, fizzled at retail, selling less than 81,000 units at launch despite massive publicity.

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Re: Nintendo reclaims console supremacy
Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:44 pm

My biggest complaint about the Wii is that the games are just not appealing to me. The only title I actually have that I have played more than once is Wii Sports. I do have Zelda, and have played it once for a long session into the night, but not again since.

I am curious as to what else may be in store for this console in the future, but I think it's kind of like the "WoW" of Consoles, appealing to a completely different target audience. Was it smart? I guess it's starting to play out and prove that it was.

My wife, however, LOVES the thing, and plays it a lot more than I do. Rolling Eyes

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery