Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dark_schneidr/darkschneidr.com/portal/includes/db/db.php on line 377
Gamer's Lounge (Presented by Darkschneidr) › Forums › Public Forums › Technical Support › How to get 64-bit when ordering from Dell

[x] Main Menu
 Home Community Members options Web Resources Search

[x] User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password

Membership:
Latest: jfauifsja
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 388

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 57
Total: 57
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Downloads
02: Event Calendar
03: Event Calendar
04: Event Calendar
05: Event Calendar
06: Forums
07: Event Calendar
08: Photo Gallery
09: Home
10: Event Calendar
11: Event Calendar
12: Event Calendar
13: Event Calendar
14: Event Calendar
15: Event Calendar
16: Event Calendar
17: Event Calendar
18: Forums
19: Photo Gallery
20: Event Calendar
21: Forums
22: Forums
23: Search
24: Event Calendar
25: Event Calendar
26: Event Calendar
27: Event Calendar
28: Event Calendar
29: Photo Gallery
30: Downloads
31: Event Calendar
32: Forums
33: Photo Gallery
34: My Account
35: Event Calendar
36: Event Calendar
37: Event Calendar
38: Event Calendar
39: My Account
40: Photo Gallery
41: Event Calendar
42: Event Calendar
43: Forums
44: Event Calendar
45: Event Calendar
46: Event Calendar
47: Event Calendar
48: Photo Gallery
49: Forums
50: Photo Gallery
51: Event Calendar
52: Forums
53: Event Calendar
54: Event Calendar
55: My Account
56: Event Calendar
57: Event Calendar

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

How to get 64-bit when ordering from Dell
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Technical Support

Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: How to get 64-bit when ordering from Dell
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:03 am

A topic that came up recently for me was how to get the 64-bit version of Vista when ordering a new computer from Dell. It's actually pretty simple if you know what to say when you call. Since I worked for Dell previously, I figured I would offer up this bit of advice regarding it.

First, know that if your system is not offered with 64-bit when purchasing, there is NO SUPPORT offered for it if you install a 64-bit operating system outside of your normal hardware warranty support, no software support is available (and this is only available to the XPS line to begin with).

When ordering your system, go ahead and place the order for the only options that you have, which is the 32-bit version (most likely, although some systems *are* offered with 64-bit).

After completing the order and it has completed it's shipping phase, you will need the service tag for the machine to complete the next step.

NOTE: The service tag is not available to you until the system is put in the box and put on the truck. If your order screen shows "In Production", this means that the service tag has NOT been put onto the system yet. Do not bother calling until it says "Shipped".

When you call Dell, you will need either your order number, or the service tag itself. This is found on the account screen after logging in on the Dell site.

When you speak to the rep, quote this;

"DSN Document ID: 158098 (Operating System Changes and Operating System Swaps - Dell Global Policy)." If they have trouble finding it, have them search in DSN for the term "O/S swap". This will produce the same document ID (they will know what DSN is, but for your own reference it is Dell Serve Network, which is a database of documents for troubleshooting and policies).

Once they have read this document, you should have no trouble getting the 64-bit version of your operating system.

Important to note;

You must be IN WARRANTY to request this. Otherwise you will need to purchase or obtain your own copy of 64-bit Vista. I have head that the key works even when using a retail version to install, but I cannot confirm this.

If you own an XPS system, you are going to have a MUCH EASIER time obtaining this disk. The Dimension systems are supported by people in India or the Phillipines, which will sometimes create an obstacle in itself to get around. The nice thing is that if you speak with someone in the XPS queue, they will still handle your issue, as it is policy for them to do so without transferring you overseas.

Hopefully this will fall on someone's ears who may find this useful. Good luck, and have a great one. Smile

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Re: How to get 64-bit when ordering from Dell
Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Also, just on a side note, the XPS m1730 actually is PAE compliant, and it WILL address all the ram installed in it. This is a method of addressing more than 4gb of resources within a 32-bit operating system. Since there tends to be better support for the 32-bit OS, it could be in someone's favor to stay with the 32-bit version until nvidia releases a solid driver for 64-bit.

Just to clarify, I have installed 4gb of ram, and 1gb of video memory. The OS sees and uses all of the resources with no trouble without any alteration out of the box.

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Technical Support
Page 1 of 1