Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dark_schneidr/darkschneidr.com/portal/includes/db/db.php on line 377
Gamer's Lounge (Presented by Darkschneidr) › Forums › Platforms › PC › An honest opinion of Rift 1 - 20

[x] Main Menu
 Home Community Members options Web Resources Search

[x] User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password

Membership:
Latest: jfauifsja
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 388

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 10
Total: 10
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Event Calendar
02: Forums
03: Event Calendar
04: Event Calendar
05: Downloads
06: Event Calendar
07: Event Calendar
08: Forums
09: Event Calendar
10: Event Calendar

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

An honest opinion of Rift 1 - 20

Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: An honest opinion of Rift 1 - 20
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:13 pm

I'm curious what people think about Rift, for reals. I've heard a lot of talk about this and that, and how it compares to the behemoth WoW, what are your thoughts?

From my own experience with it, which has only been level 1 - 20, I think there are some upsides and downsides, but I'm curious what others might say about it. To me, gameplay wise, graphics wise, it seems like Warhammer Online. I've spoke with others who have compared it to WoW, but I do not agree so much. To me, it looks like they pulled Rift out of Warhammer's butt, renamed a bunch of stuff, mixed in some WoW fight mechanics and controls, and dumbed down some Vanguard graphics. Is this a bad thing? Well... no. I think it makes a nice mix of some different systems that work.

When I run level 20 - 40 I'll make another list, which may or may not change.

Initial thoughts are :

- Yes, the controls are almost the same as Warcraft, but so are most games these days. Why fix what isn't broken?

- The combat is similar to the Lich King/Cataclysm combat system, but reminds me of and feels more like Vanguard as I use it more and more.

- I don't see much of a comparison with Everquest outside of the same things I saw in Vanguard that made Vanguard like it.

What I like :

- The alternate advancement system is really where it seems to spin off and give more options than others.

- I like that my DPS (cleric) isn't that squishy and has healing spells that, when used appropriately, will hold keep me able to live through multiple mob encounters.

- The rift invasions and warfronts so far have been kinda cool and I like them as a nice change of pace.

What I think could be improved upon :

- I don't like how alone I'm feeling as I level. To me, this is killing it. I realize that the MMORPG market is starting to turn in this direction, and it isn't much the game's fault, however, I'm not excited to see it. I played all weekend, and never once saw a person who actually said something out loud, even when I attempted to say something to them. People just seem to get caught up in what they are doing and don't really seem to care about anyone or anything around them unless it impacts them.

- While I like the rift invasions and warfronts, after a while they become more of a grinding activity it seems like. I seem to eventually just veg out and watch tv and run from rift to rift. Once I get to a higher level, I'll revisit this. I'm hoping that something really starts to open up.

- The cities so far, which I've not seen many, are really kind of ugly. For me, there is an immersion factor that will draw me in sometimes where I'll want to find a place to check out and explore, however, so far I've not found anything that I thought was impressive. I'm hoping as I adventure more that this will change.

- Dungeon encounters so far have been nowhere near what I was hoping for. I remember (just as an example) the first time I was sent into the spider caves in Vanguard, then again into other huge underground areas that just were plain impressive to say the least. I haven't found that in this game yet. It seems like at this point in my game (keep in mind, only level -20) there is something else that is getting a lot of attention, and I just haven't found it yet. I'll welcome it when it comes, and I'm definitely still looking for that "something."

So, in closing for now, I'm still making my way along and hoping to find that thing that just hooks me, but I haven't yet.

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Hiko
I can't stop posting!

PostPost subject: Re: An honest opinion of Rift 1 - 20
Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Initially I liked the variety, but lately I have found myself losing interest. It does seem a lot like War Hammer in the Rift (Public Quest) and War Fronts. It also seems quite linear. I find myself just going quest node to quest node grinding to 50. The dungeons I think lack depth. They just are very short and it seams that end game dungeon stuff is all about grinding the same dungeons over and over, mind you I haven't gotten to 50 yet so I haven't actually seen them. I'm sure the raid content will be cool... the first time through. I also agree that the game feels empty. It doesn't help that there aren't any truly developed story lines that I have seen. The crafting system is way to "click and walk away", then again Vanguard had the only crafting system I actually enjoyed to some degree.

All in all I think the game focuses too much on PvP and repetition. I guess I just need the next Vanguard to come along. Maybe when Sony releases Everquest 'Next' it'll be Vanguard revamped.

We'll see, but I'll keep up with Rift for now if nothing else just to hang out with you guys and I paid for 3 months Very Happy

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
Solis
Needs to get out more

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:19 pm

Well I quit for a bit and just resubbed. Most likely If I start with another grind feel fest again I will probably play WoW again. The game is great and fun but I can grind WoW and have much more fun than I do grinding this. Anyways I paid for another month so I will see how it goes this go around. It does feel like Warhammer to me. Only thing I can honestly compare to WoW is the crafting system.

Hiko
I can't stop posting!

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 pm

I only played WoW briefly, but the Dungeon system seems similar.

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
Graehl
I swear to god I'm not a flooder!

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm fine with it as-is, but it still feels like it could use a little more... something. Bigger underground areas, more epic quests, something. It's still holding my attention more than warcrap.

If you dont like going from quest node to quest node (pve) then perhaps you'd like a pvp server better? I wouldnt. I can do without getting ganked when i'm trying to do something.

They'll add more dungeons I'm sure. They've added content every month so far. (next month is costume slots, and some more misc stuff.) I've never been a huge fan of raiding, doing the same thing every night, etc, but these dungeons arent too bad. At least with the plaque system you can actually work towards something and not just hoping for random drops only.

Mmm, might not be the best game ever but it's fun for now. When it stops being fun, I'll quit too.

Site Admin

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Smile Yea, that is pretty much how I feel, but I do like it so far. I'm hoping it does hook me at some point.

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Braelyn
I swear to god I'm not a flooder!

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:14 am

I like that you can completely skip the quests and still level. PVP'ing is as fast as questing is as fast as chasing rifts/invasions. I think dungeons are probably the fast track if you don't have to spend lots of time waiting for groups.
Page 1 of 1