Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dark_schneidr/darkschneidr.com/portal/includes/db/db.php on line 377
Gamer's Lounge (Presented by Darkschneidr) › Forums › Public Forums › Off Topic › The Dodge Retort: United Airlines Breaks Guitars

[x] Main Menu
 Home Community Members options Web Resources Search

[x] User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password

Membership:
Latest: jfauifsja
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 388

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 40
Total: 40
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Forums
02: Photo Gallery
03: Event Calendar
04: Forums
05: Forums
06: Search
07: Event Calendar
08: Event Calendar
09: Event Calendar
10: Event Calendar
11: Event Calendar
12: Photo Gallery
13: Downloads
14: Event Calendar
15: Forums
16: Photo Gallery
17: My Account
18: Event Calendar
19: Event Calendar
20: Event Calendar
21: Event Calendar
22: My Account
23: Photo Gallery
24: Event Calendar
25: Event Calendar
26: Forums
27: Event Calendar
28: Event Calendar
29: Event Calendar
30: Event Calendar
31: Photo Gallery
32: Forums
33: Photo Gallery
34: Event Calendar
35: Event Calendar
36: Event Calendar
37: Event Calendar
38: My Account
39: Event Calendar
40: Event Calendar

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

The Dodge Retort: United Airlines Breaks Guitars
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Off Topic

Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: The Dodge Retort: United Airlines Breaks Guitars
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:44 am

Trackback

“United breaks guitars” is the most powerful example yet about how social media empowers consumers and tarnishes images of big companies. In spring, 2008, Dave Carroll of the Sons of Maxwell band claims United Airlines broke his $3,500 Taylor guitar on a flight stop-over in Chicago while traveling from Halifax to Nebraska.

For a year, he tried unsuccessfully to get reimbursed. When United did not treat him well, he got even! No, he got revenge and then some. He wrote a song United Breaks Guitars and produced a Youtube video that in the past week or so has garnered 3,143,801views and 15,343 comments mostly in praise of this David’s attempt to slay the United Goliath. He promises three songs and song 2 is already done.

The song is catchy and the video mimics baggage handlers thrashing luggage around. I searched United Breaks Guitars at United.com and this is what came back:

Did you mean: United breaks gets? United breaks stars? United breaks liters? United breaks guests? United breaks girls?

Nope, I meant United breaks guitars. Nothing came back searching Dave or David Carroll, either. But the soft-spoken and clearly-determined Canadian in a second video says United has since offered to compensate him and urges the airline to give the money to charity. Now, United has a PR nightmare of its own making and Dave Carroll is a rock star. Taylor Guitars jumped all over it, too.

“If you spend millions on advertising your brand and someone spend five cents on a Youtube video, you’ve just wasted a lot of advertising dollars. There’s a consensus around the frustration customers feel with companies that act like monolithic monsters,” says Dr. Natalie Petouhoff, a Forrester Research analyst covering customer experience/service and social media. “S ocial media is here to stay and has a lot of power.”

Search “bad customer experiences” on Twitter Tweetdeck and be prepared for profanity. Call it the customer’s revenge. Here’s one mild tweet on United Airlines at this moment:

“United airlines is the worst airline. I can not believe this day. Sorry but my Christian attitude is suffering today.” says @meglish001. I don’t mean to pick on United because I’ve had many good experiences flying it, but I’ve had a few bad ones, too and darnit, I can’t get the “United Breaks Guitars” song out of my head.

“Now we have this giant megaphone called Web 2.0 saying how horrible your company is,” says Petouhoff.

That’s not to say companies can’t turn the tables and use tools like Twitter to change how customers think about them. Many are. United just isn’t quite there yet. In its own twitter account, it talks to more 17,000, but listens to just over 1,000. Given that so many identify with and like Carroll’s video should send a loud message to United and everyone else.

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Off Topic
Page 1 of 1