Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dark_schneidr/darkschneidr.com/portal/includes/db/db.php on line 377
Gamer's Lounge (Presented by Darkschneidr) › Forums › Public Forums › Technical Support › Always No Bootable Devices - Hit F1 to Retry on startup

[x] Main Menu
 Home Community Members options Web Resources Search

[x] User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password

Membership:
Latest: jfauifsja
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 388

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 9
Total: 9
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Event Calendar
02: Event Calendar
03: Event Calendar
04: Forums
05: Event Calendar
06: Event Calendar
07: Forums
08: Forums
09: Event Calendar

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

Always No Bootable Devices - Hit F1 to Retry on startup
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Technical Support

Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Always No Bootable Devices - Hit F1 to Retry on startup
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:49 am

A recent issue I ran into was a little interesting. I had installed a Virtual PC program and VMWare Player to do some testing, and almost immediately I started getting the message

"No Bootable Devices Found - Hit F1 to Retry"

It also mentioned some other options that I could choose from, but for the sake of less confusion, I'll leave it at that.

The interesting thing was that I could hit F1, and it would boot fine. No problems, just fired right up.

At first I thought that my hard drive must be dying already in my brand new laptop, but since I wasn't having any other problems with it, I just couldn't accept that answer. I let it go for a couple of days, then decided it was time to fix it.

I retraced my steps and tracked down that it happened after installing this software (Virtual PC and VMWare Player).

*Ping* the light went off. I knew it couldn't be hardware at this point, so I broke out my Vista disk and started the computer up and booted to the disk.

I selected my language, then chose the option to "Repair My Computer". It proceeded to run startup repair, and didn't find anything wrong.

I chose the advanced repair option and selected the Command Prompt option.

Vista uses something a little different than XP in the form of commands. In XP you could type fixboot and chkdsk and such, but not in Vista.

I used the handy dandy little bootrec.exe command to issue these commands. I typed:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
exit

Then I chose the option to restart.

After restarting it booted to windows like it normally should. I thought "Yay, all is fixed!". However, I was deceived.

Upon booting to windows, I checked something in the VMWare app while using the machine. I didn't think anything of it, but shut the computer down.

After a while, I returned and started back up... the error came up again! Needless to say, I was a little disgruntled. I booted to Windows and uninstalled VMWare Player and Virtual PC, deleted the virtual machines, and put the Vista disk in and restarted.

Repeating the same bootrec commands for fixmbr and fixboot, I completed the steps and restarted. No error this time. I booted to windows and used the computer normally, played some games, installed a new program. Restarted and no problems.

So far, to date, I have not had the issue come back. Why my computer doesn't like virtual machine applications, I couldn't say. I can say that it is a pretty vanilla Vista Ultimate 64-bit installation, so if there is a conflict it must to be a software/hardware conflict.

Anywho, perhaps someone can find this information useful out there on the interwebs. Wink Have fun computernating!(Yes, I just made that word up)

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Re: Always No Bootable Devices - Hit F1 to Retry on startup
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:02 pm

And... unfortunately, this was not a permenant fix for this issue. It happened again today and I have changed nothing. I'm going to attempt to reseat the hard drives and possibly load new raid drivers on the thing and see if it helps at all. That is the only other thing I can think of though, so we'll see how that plays out.

*sigh* back to the drawing board.

On a brighter note, running the same commands above again do make the issue go away, but I'm more concerned as to why it is happening to begin with. Shocked

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Technical Support
Page 1 of 1