Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /home/dark_schneidr/darkschneidr.com/portal/includes/db/db.php on line 377
Gamer's Lounge (Presented by Darkschneidr) › Forums › Public Forums › Technical Support › My computer died. (The new one)

[x] Main Menu
 Home Community Members options Web Resources Search

[x] User Info

Welcome Anonymous

Nickname
Password

Membership:
Latest: jfauifsja
New Today: 0
New Yesterday: 0
Overall: 388

People Online:
Members: 0
Visitors: 78
Total: 78
Who Is Where:
 Visitors:
01: Event Calendar
02: Event Calendar
03: Event Calendar
04: Event Calendar
05: Event Calendar
06: Event Calendar
07: My Account
08: Event Calendar
09: Event Calendar
10: Event Calendar
11: Event Calendar
12: Event Calendar
13: Event Calendar
14: Photo Gallery
15: Event Calendar
16: Event Calendar
17: Event Calendar
18: Event Calendar
19: Event Calendar
20: Event Calendar
21: Event Calendar
22: Event Calendar
23: Event Calendar
24: Event Calendar
25: Event Calendar
26: Photo Gallery
27: Event Calendar
28: Event Calendar
29: Event Calendar
30: Event Calendar
31: Event Calendar
32: Event Calendar
33: Event Calendar
34: Event Calendar
35: Event Calendar
36: Event Calendar
37: Event Calendar
38: Event Calendar
39: Event Calendar
40: Photo Gallery
41: Event Calendar
42: Event Calendar
43: Event Calendar
44: Event Calendar
45: Event Calendar
46: Event Calendar
47: Event Calendar
48: Event Calendar
49: Event Calendar
50: Event Calendar
51: Event Calendar
52: Event Calendar
53: Event Calendar
54: Event Calendar
55: Downloads
56: Event Calendar
57: Event Calendar
58: Event Calendar
59: Event Calendar
60: Event Calendar
61: Event Calendar
62: Event Calendar
63: Event Calendar
64: Event Calendar
65: Event Calendar
66: Event Calendar
67: Event Calendar
68: Event Calendar
69: Event Calendar
70: Event Calendar
71: Event Calendar
72: Event Calendar
73: Event Calendar
74: Event Calendar
75: Event Calendar
76: Event Calendar
77: Event Calendar
78: Forums

Staff Online:

No staff members are online!

My computer died. (The new one)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Technical Support

Tweeks
I still need a rank. :) (Keep Posting)

PostPost subject: My computer died. (The new one)
Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm not sure what's wrong but here are the symptoms.

Went to get on my computer. Computer was on and running fine. I turned on my Monitor...nothing, black screen. Says no device is connected to it. I looked down, the power to my Key board and mouse were both down (normally some fancy lights on the key board).

Unsure of what to do I restarted my computer.... same deal...no monitor, it doesn't even turn on, doens't register any device, and no power to keyboard. Although it sounds like my computer is booting up like it usually does.

Two things I notice is power never goes to the keyboard like it normally does on startup, and I can hear graphics card fan kick up a notch after a few seconds when turning it on (normally I have to manually kick it up).

In any case I pretty much can't do anything.

Maybe it is some issue with the graphics card. I figure it could be any number of problems from the power supply to the motherboard.

I want to lean toward the power supply because of the fact that the keyboard is not lighting up although oddly enough my mouse is.

I double an triple checked all the monitor's cables and the power supply cable and everything is secure. Somthing is fried on my system.
Darkschneidr
Site Admin

PostPost subject: Re: My computer died. (The new one)
Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Sorry for the late response, I didn't check the boards last night.

When you say it is booting up fine, do you mean that the computer is running, or do you have speakers connected and can actually hear it load windows?

First thing you always do when something like this happens is reseat the memory and then try again. Wink Try it and see if it affects it. If not, post and let me know.

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Tweeks

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:48 pm

No windows does not load, the computer just turns on, fans run everything sounds normal, but nothing starts up. No windows loading. Nothing on the Monitor, it thinks it's not connected to anything.

I tried reseating the memory it did not do anything different.
Tweeks

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Array:
Hi there!!

I went off to work the other day and left my computer running as usual. When I came home from work though the computer was on and the monitor was on stand by but wouldn't fire up. So I restarted my computer, the monitor light turns green then seconds later it turns orange and sits on standby. I assumed that my monitor had packed in so borrowed one and it did the exact same thing.

So I had a think and the only place I'd seen this behaviour before was when I started up a computer with no memory in it. (I just wondered what happened...) Anyway, I pulled out both sticks, tried them one at a time and switched them around... Still nothing. I borrowed a stick from a different computer and same problem. I don't have a graphics card so I borrowed one of these too thinking that it might override the onboard graphics but once again was to no avail and the monitor didn't fire up!!

Do I need a new motherboard perhaps?? Is it something to do with BIOS?? I haven't got a clue and don't want to buy a new motherboard for no reason! Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!

John

I've had the same problems as this guy and have tried most of the same things. He says he finally replaced his mother board and it worked. MAYBE a similar problem as me.
Hiko
I can't stop posting!

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:30 pm

I would try the RAM like DS says first since it's easy and free. With the USB situation I would lean toward board or power supply. It's sort of hard to tell if one or the other without some other info.

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
Hiko
I can't stop posting!

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Another thing that is free and may work is unplug everything and plug it back in. It may be a short or lost ground somewhere. Inspect all the cables too, see if one may have hit a fan or melted or even been pinched.

Hiko
I can't stop posting!

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:34 pm

Also open the case and see if you can smell the magic smoke.

Tweeks

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:11 pm

I've tried everything I can under the "free" category. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to replace something. The question is...What?
Graehl
I swear to god I'm not a flooder!

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:25 pm

Symptoms sound like motherboard to me. I've had the same stuff happen before. If you've already ruled out ram, i'd check the mobo. (Especially if you happen to have an old one sitting around.) If your computer wont even post and you've checked everything else, it's a pretty safe bet. Someone correct me if i'm way off base.
Site Admin

Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:46 pm

Motherboard is certainly a possibility, it's quite worst case scenario, but crazier things have happened. Since you are getting nothing on the screen at all, something is failing in POST. I am not sure if that board has any kind of diagnostics or not. Do you happen to remember which model it was?

Other things you can try:

1. Pull all of the ram out and place 1 module back in by itself. If the same results, swap the modules and try again. If the same results again, move on to the next thing.

2. Reset the CMOS on the board by pulling out the small round battery on the board and leaving it out about 10 minutes. It will force the BIOS to clear any settings back to default that may have caused some problem, for whatever reason. After 10 minutes just put it back in and start it up again. Since you aren't running raid you should be fine.

3. With a motherboard, normally you could tell if it fried just by smelling it (like Hiko suggested). This won't ALWAYS be the case, but if it's fried from a short, you will definitely smell it. I actually was able to see where it hit the case and fried on one of my old machines that fried. Also, I believe it was suggested, but smell the power supply for the same reason. If it's just the power supply, it would suck to get a new motherboard for nothing.

3. Next would be a problem with one of the peripherals. You would single out the components as best you could by disconnecting all components from the machine besides the video card and power supply (also disconnect all power cables to those components, leave only the ones to the board and video card connected). Try again and see if you can at least get something on the screen.

I don't think it would be necessary to try another video card, but you are welcome to if you want. I have seen motherboards, believe it or not, that would not post without a working video card plugged into them. This should not be the case, but like I said, I have seen it with my own eyes. Also, as an alternative, you could try your own video card in another computer that will accept PCI Express if it is easier. If it works there, then there isn't a problem with it.

A bad CPU is also possible, although unlikely unless you were overclocking pretty hard as the newer intels run cooler than any of their predecessors. I wouldn't worry about this one.

Also, as far as the USB problems, it could very well indicate a problem with the board if the devices plugged into it aren't powering correctly. Keep in mind, that at the same time, a USB device can actually cause this issue itself. Be sure to unplug them when attempting the CMOS reset.

Finally, I would try to find out (perhaps call eVGA) if the board has any kind of diagnostic led's or tones and see if it can be diagnosed. It may not, but it's always a possibility. I say this because I read this under someone's post

Array:
"Finally the board simply died with an A0 message"
Which would lead me to believe that it probably does have a diagnostic system.

If all else fails and you have to replace the board, you CAN replace the board with the exact same model and it will normally be plug and play (since the parts are the same, the OS doesn't know the difference). You won't have to reinstall windows and all that junk, just plug it in and go.

I hope for the best, be sure to contact eVGA and find out what your options are, if any, on an RMA. I don't recall how long it has been, but I also don't recall what eVGA's warranty program is either.

Join the Gamer Army!
View user's profile Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
Tweeks

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:02 am

The Motherboard is a NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI.

I've done the ram i've reset the cmos

Nothing on the motherboard smells funny neither does the power supply I've taken out and re put in every cord and all the cards in the machine. I even re-put in the heat sink since many suggested that could be shorting out the board which was not the case. I am going to finally call evga and see how that goes.
Tweeks

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:52 pm

UPDATE:

I called and they are pretty much insisting that the problem is the Graphics card. Not that they can tell much of anything. It is the only thing I can't rule out at the moment because I don't have another computer with a pci express slot to test it.

I just finished completely disassembling my machine and putting it back together including attempting to get it to post outside of the case. I have tried just about every rememdy I am able too. For "Free" that is.

It would be nice if it was just a graphics card issue as I have been wanting to upgrade it anyway.

Thanks for all the help!!!
Darkschneidr
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Well, here's what I would do to eliminate it.

www.bestbuy.com/site/o...8007083381

Go purchase this. If you put it in and it works, then order whatever card you want online (for a much better price) and once you receive it, return the one you bought and claim it didn't work in your computer.

Smile No I do not exploit, I merely use all resources.

Yes, this card is a piece of shit, and I wouldn't put it in anything that I wanted to game on, but it's only $69 bucks and a quick diagnosing tool. Hell, I need to pick up something like this one day so I have a backup in case something like that were to happen to my machine.

Anywho, if you try it and you get the same results, you can call and tell them that the video card isn't the problem and they will actually finish troubleshooting.

Join the Gamer Army!

Last edited by Darkschneidr on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darkschneidr
Site Admin

Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Also, if you're looking for the best card out, these are on the top right now:

GeForce GTX 295

GTS 295 Pricing

Also, the 285 is not a bad option either, and you'll find lower prices

285 Pricing

The GX2 is riddled with gaming oddities since they are running dual GPU's. They are also pretty expensive. While I am a fan of SLI, and it does have it's very real benifits, sometimes it's better to keep it simple.

I would stay with the big manufacturers. eVGA has always had good support, as well as BFG, MSI, and XFX, but I'm not a fan of really any of the other brands.

I'm very anti-ATI, so you won't really get any recommendations from me on them. I hate GPU recovery, and all of their cards suffer from it. They are nice in some areas, but some they just flat suck. Of course, you may never run across the problem, but I would say proceed at your own risk.

Of course, this is all based off of if it is actually the graphics card or not, but that is left to be seen. Yes, these are PCI Express x16 2.0 cards, but they are able to run on a 1.0 board. If/when you decide to upgrade to a 2.0 board, you'll already have the video card for it. Wink

Good luck with it man, I hope you get it up and running soon.

Join the Gamer Army!
Tweeks

Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:02 am

Any reccomendations for a mother board if I plan on upgrading that too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index Technical Support
Page 1 of 2